Slavery and human trafficking affect 40+ million people worldwide. With a problem this large, organizations combating trafficking must expand their work and assist more people. This requires organizations to be increasingly more effective at fundraising, which is where Unseen fits in. Unseen accelerates the work of 30+ partner organizations that are fighting human trafficking and its root causes. We do this by producing marketing materials that our partners use to raise more funds and expand their work.
Unseen’s CEO is looking for a part-time administrative assistant. You are encouraged to apply via Indeed if this work interests you, and if your background aligns with the job description.
Event Coordination (65%)
- Function as Unseen’s main point of contact and liaison for its annual fundraising dinner event.
- Perform strategic and hands-on tactical tasks for planning Unseen fundraising events, i.e., script out what an event might look like, guide event’s program development, create deliverables lists and timelines complying to a set budget, create event sponsorship materials, draft/review/edit vendor contracts, seek CEO’s signature on vendor contracts well in advance of vendor commencing work, and assist in creating event presentation materials.
- Liaise with event management personnel on event execution, communicate with select Unseen staff and volunteers to ensure smooth execution of tasks, send out reminders of upcoming events, and respond to, or forward, external inquiries to relevant parties.
- Maintain accurate records related to fundraising events, verify that contracts are completed to specifications and to budget.
Administrative Support (35%)
- Coordinate select appointments, meetings, and travel for CEO.
- Prepare CEO meeting agendas as requested, and record minutes as requested.
- Maintain office supplies as requested.
- Follow Unseen’s protocols for Development, Accounting, Finance, HR, Program, and other areas.
- Write and respond to select supporters, as requested, i.e., invitations, thank yous.
- Friendly, positive demeanor
- Effective verbal communicator among a professional demographic
- Experience writing thoughtful, relevant, well crafted emails to a professional demographic
- Process-driven, detailed, respect for departmental areas of responsibility
- Not afraid to speak up in a kind but constructive way and ask necessary questions (and follow up questions) before executing requests—with the goal of doing what’s best for an organization
- Ability to evaluate what’s behind a request, and prioritize/juggle multiple tasks concurrently
- History of taking appropriate initiative with a supervisor; coordinating planned projects in a detailed way—with excellence, within budget, and on-time
- A “6th sense” for evaluating what needs to be done, and anticipating potential outcomes that could arise by pursuing divergent paths
Demands, Hours, Pay
- Ability to talk, hear, and write in US-style English
- Ability to see, which includes close vision, distance, color, depth perception, and focus ability
- Because we work with human trafficking stories, this positon is exposed to subject matter that can be emotionally disturbing—including assault, inhumane conditions, and abuse of children. While we try to keep exposure as minimal as possible, Unseen writes copy and produces materials containing this subject matter for its anti-trafficking partners. Some exposure is necessary because stories explain trafficking realities and a partner’s work to address problems.
- That said, we avoid sensationalism and follow Ethical Storytelling best practices. We believe that hope and stories that highlight the strength of a survivor are more powerful than triggering guilt or fear in a donor. And we prefer to cultivate educated supporters who understand the depth of the issue and invest in long term solutions.
Depending on hire, this non-exempt position’s hours will be set at a fixed number somewhere between 7-10 hours per week. While this position is remote, our team works generally between 9-5 CST, M-F.
Pay is based on work to be performed, candidate’s qualifications, and a finalized work schedule. Unseen determines pay in light of other Unseen staff salaries and industry standards for comparable positions in other small nonprofits. It is a part-time position, no benefits are included.
We’re a small team with a big vision: We envision a world where exploiters are stopped, vulnerable people have livelihoods, and trafficking survivors pursue lives of freedom and impact. For more information about Unseen, view Unseen’s Annual Report, public website, and partners website!
Benefits for this position include paid holidays and vacation, sick leave, and a matching 401k opportunity.