What would it be like to wake up each day and have no say in where you’re going, or what you do? For the 40.3 million people trapped in modern-day slavery, this is their reality. Held against their will, voice silenced, stifled by abuse, poverty, and cultural norms.
Human trafficking is defined as the recruitment, transportation, transfer, harboring, or receipt of persons by improper means (abduction, deception, abuse of power or preying on vulnerability) and control for an improper purpose including forced labor or sexual exploitation.*
The numbers are staggering and trafficking appears in many forms:
• Forced Labor: 16 million people are being forced to work under the threat of violence and for no pay, treated as property and exploited to create a product for commercial sale.
• Bonded Labor: 4.1 million individuals are compelled to work in order to repay a debt and unable to leave until the debt is repaid.
• Child Labor: 5.5 million children under the age of 18 who are held in any enslavement—whether forced labor, domestic servitude, bonded labor or sex trafficking.
• Sex Trafficking and Prostitution: 4.8 million women, men or children are forced into the commercial sex industry and held against their will by force, fraud or coercion.
• Forced and Child Marriage: Each year 12 million girls are forced to marry without their consent or against their will before the age of 18.**
• Domestic Servitude: Employees working in private homes are forced or coerced into serving and/or fraudulently convinced that they have no option to leave.**
This is a terror that must be tackled.
To end this degrading suffering, we--Unseen and our Partners--are cutting through human trafficking to combat its core.
Unseen is a nonprofit accelerator working to end human trafficking at its root causes through strategic partnerships with existing organizations already striving for justice. Each of Unseen’s Partners, with current organizations in 34 countries, has a history of success and are primed for growth. We come alongside organizations and give all the tools they need to sustainably develop their own sources of funding for years to come, ensuring more women and children are rescued, renewed and restored.
Please join us in this fight for freedom—get informed about the horrors of human trafficking, volunteer your time to the mission, or donate to propel our cause farther so we can help our Partners sustain their good work for the long haul. Your contributions create care for the most vulnerable, provide rescue and restoration, learned skills for mothers and children, and education to end the cycle of poverty. There is hope, healing, and safety for generations because of your investment